Biography and Recent Honors
- Margaret Lindsey works in the pastel medium and has studied under several nationally known pastelists, including Richard McKinley, Sally Strand, Lorenzo Chavez, Kim Lordier, Terri Ford, Denise LaRue Mahlke, Joe Mancuso, Mary Aslin, Maggie Price and Bob Rohm. She has been mentored by Frank Minuto.
- She loves the California landscape and the California Impressionists from 100 years ago. These passions inspire her to work to become one of the top 21st Century California Impressionists! She begins color studies on location and then creates finished pieces in the studio.
- Margaret likes to portray the landscape in a nostalgic manner, causing the viewer to long for home, whether that is a return to Eden or a yearning for Paradise while traveling through this less-than-perfect world.
- Margaret Lindsey finds great joy in seeing and recording her observations. Frederick Franke said, “Drawing is, before all else, seeing.” It is this ability to draw and see as an artist sees, first learned in a life drawing class at Westchester High School that touched her deeply and motivated her to pursue art. In 1997, she had the opportunity to attend CSU Long Beach to become certified to teach the methodology of drawing pioneered and developed by Dr. Betty Edwards known as “Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain.” As a certified instructor, it has been Margaret’s pleasure to share the skills necessary for seeing with students, who never thought they could learn to draw, so that they may participate in the joy of drawing. She has taught these skills at the Torrance Cultural Arts Center and the Long Beach Parks and Recreation Department, as well as in private instruction.
- Destination: Art is the non-profit Studios/Gallery of which Margaret is the co-founder and CEO. The grand opening will be held in the Fall of 2014. See www.destination-art.net for more information.
- Margaret is co-founder and Past President of the Pastel Society of Southern California, www.pastelsocal.com which was launched in 2009 and now has more than 100 members. The PSSC holds an annual Exhibition and multiple workshops throughout the year.
- She is also a juried member of the Pacific Arts Group, affiliated with the Palos Verdes Art Center.
- She is a member of the Los Angeles Chapter of the Colored Pencil Society of America.
She and her husband, Steve, live in Torrance, CA. They have two grown children, Rick and Christie. Margaret’s art is evidence of her redemption and of becoming the person God intends her to be.
Margaret Lindsey’s Recent Honors:
"Local Color: Exhibition at the Loft, San Pedro, June 2014, juried by Jean Stern, Randy Higbee, 3 pieces accepted: Sunset at Abalone Cove, PV and Redondo, Chapel by the Sea.
PSSC 5th Annual Members' Exhibition, April 2014, Blue Skies, 2nd Place Popular Choice Landscape
"The Riverside Legacy: California Plein Air Paintings Past and Present" exhibit comprised of selet Plein Air paintings from the Riverside Art Museum’s permanent collection, featuring works completed by artists as early as the 1930s, and a choice selection of contemporary Plein Air artwork by RAM's Plein Air Artists of Riverside (PAAR) group. My painting, Historic California Citrus Grove accepted by juror Devi Noor, the curatorial assistant in the American Art department at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art (LACMA), and then Sold. Dec 2013 - Apr 2014.
International Association of Pastel Societies Online Exhibition, Dec 2013, Truth
"Home" Exhibition at Malaga Cove Library, December 2013, juried by Jean Stern, Randy Higbee, and Thomas Redfield, 3 pieces accepted: Going Home, The Shed, End of the Day.
South Bay Focus Juried Exhibition, Torrance Art Museum, Dec 2013, Still Water
Pastel Society of Southern California 4th Annual Members’ Exhibition, Manhattan Beach, CA, April 2013, Truth
"Site to Studio Show" at Maloof Foundation Gallery, January 2013
Third Place for Beautiful Back Bay and Lovely Day at the Bay, warded by Jean Stearn
First Solo Show at Amore Vino, Torrance, CA November 2012
Americana added to William Fletcher Collection, September 2012
All Media Juried Exhibition, Palos Verdes Art Center, August 2012
Docents’ Award for body of work, 2 pieces, Along the Road and Americana
Small Treasures Juried Exhibition, Palos Verdes Art Center, August 2012, 3 pieces
International Association of Pastel Societies 20th Juried Exhibition, Brea CA, August 2012, Going Home
Pastel Society of Southern California 3rd Annual Members’ Exhibition, Manhattan Beach, CA, April 2012
Plein Air Artists of Riverside Exhibition at the Riverside Art Museum, May 2012
Pacific Arts Group Paints the Madrona Marsh Again, Torrance, CA June 2012
Plein Air Artists of Riverside Quick Draw, February 2012
Honorable Mention for Morning Shadows
South Bay Focus Juried Exhibition, Torrance Art Museum, Dec 2011 and Dec 2010
Randy Higbee Gallery 6x6 Juried Exhibition and Sale, Costa Mesa, CA
December 2011 and April 2011, December 2012, December 2013
Palos Verdes Art Center Holiday Juried Exhibition, December 2011
Ann Turner Award for Malibu Lagoon Sunset
APC Fine Art Gallery Small Pieces Show, Torrance, December 2011
3rd Place Award for Central Coast Looking North
APC Fine Art Gallery “Paint a Letter to a Friend” Invitational Show, November 2011
Colored Pencil Society of America Juried National Exhibition, Dallas, TX July 2011
Pastel Society of Southern California 2nd Annual Members’ Exhibition,
Manhattan Beach, CA, April 2011
2nd place Landscape for Going Home
Pacific Arts Group Paints the Madrona Marsh, Torrance, CA February 2011
Pencil Paintings Exhibition of the Colored Pencil Society of America Los Angeles Chapter
Cypress Community Gallery, March 2011, 2010, 2009, and many previous years
Honorable Mention for Ojai Valley at Sunset, 2009
Honorable Mention for July 13, Avalon Bay, 2010
Pastel Society of Southern California Inaugural Members’ Exhibition, Manhattan Beach, CA, April 2010